Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Malori's Movie Reviews

Let's start with one of my all time favorite movies of all time ever!!! I seriously know ever line to this movie and can start at the beginning at any moment and quote to the end without any prompts - ok that makes me sound a little bit lame, but that is how much I adore this movie!!
First of all, who in their right mind doesn't love a good Jane Austen story? She writes the most romantic and heart wrenching stories and creates the most amazing characters that you can't help but fall in love with!
So, turn an amazing Jane Austen book into a movie and cast Emma Thompson (my favorite actress!), Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant and you have an automatic winner!! But it doesn't stop there...who would have thought that Ang Lee - director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - could create such amazing moments!!
My favorite scene by far is when Elinor (Emma Thompson) who is in love with Edward (Hugh Grant) is talking with Lucy (Imogen Stubbs) who is Edward's secret fiance of 5 years - who he is not in love with...because he is truly in love with Elinor, but he can't break a promise to Lucy - so anyways, Lucy and Elinor are visiting and suddenly, who comes to visit but Edward!! How awkward for him to have his true love and his fiance sitting in the same room! Then, to make matters worse, Marianne (Kate Winslet), Elinor's sister, comes in and starts asking all sorts of questions about why Edward hasn't gone out of his way to visit Elinor.....
The scene is filled with the most silent and awkward humor and everyone does such an amazing job in it!! I just love watching it!!
So...if you have not seen this movie, please, please, please find it and watch it immediately - it will change your life!!
Ok, we are going to go from a great movie to a not-so-great movie. Jon and I rented this movie from the redbox because the commercials looked promising and because I think that Michael Cera is so darn funny!! Well, Michael didn't let me down (he is super funny), but the writers did. This movie had it's moments but was mostly sacreligious and offensive. It also contained the stereotypical "Jack Black" kind of humor - cheap gags, slap stick, and "potty jokes" that are geared toward human beings with the maturity of a 6th grader.
Needless to say, I do not recommend this movie......not at all.......
Normally I don't like Renee Zellweger so I was not sure if I wanted to watch this movie - that is why it is now a year after it came out and I am just barely seeing it. And, I only rented it because they were out of The Proposal in the redbox and I wanted to watch something girlie....
Luckily, I was very pleasantly surprised! Let me just say that I have a little bit of a crush on Harry Connick Jr. (don't worry, Jon knows and he is ok with it) so that certainly helped....
But this movie was very, very sweet. Kind of a typical storyline - big city girl comes to small town and learns to adapt to the small town lifestyle and ends up preferring it over her big city experience.
What I loved about this particular movie is that the big city girl doesn't end up giving up her dreams and her success to live in the small town - instead she becomes more successful and ends up making her dreams a complete reality!
This movie made me laugh so hard and it made me cry and feel really good inside when it was over. It was a really a good time!
Last, but certainly not least, Love Happens. I was very excited for this movie because I really like Jennifer Aniston and I really like Aaron Eckhart (from what I saw of him in Batman - I have never seen him in anything else) - or so I thought.
This movie's storyline was really sweet and I really enjoyed watching it. However, I did not like Aaron Eckhart in it. I guess he isn't the type of guy who should be in chick flicks. Whenever he was feeling strong emotions (in love, stressed out, upset) he would breath really heavily - as though he had just run a marathon - and whenever he was serious, he would show it by pressing his fingers to his forehead. He never looked happy either....maybe I am being to picky.
So it was an alright movie, but not fantastic. I did cry like a little girl in it, but I didn't laugh or think it was a good time. I would suggest getting it at the redbox - then you only spend a dollar and it is a good time.

So those are the movies I have seen recently - I hope it helps you in your movie renting decisions.

4 comments:

Kimmie said...

Oh, how I love your reviews! They do help! I was wondering whether I should Red Box New in Town, and now I will. Renee Zelwegger owes you a dollar for getting me to rent her movie.
Also, year One, I will take your advice and skip. The Jennifer Aniston one I hadn't heard it, but what the heck, it's a buck. (She owes you a dollar too.)
And now, my feelings on Sense and Sensibility. One of my ALL TIME favorite movies! I LOVE it too! You are always right on with your reviews!

Kay and Krystal said...

Oh yes definitely...we should be there..we were supposed to be in Snowflake..but we wont be..so that will be fun!

Brenden+Nikki said...

We'll have to check those out. Especially the last one. If I can convince Brenden to watch a chick flick. Which I don't think I can. But maybe I can trick him.....

Laurie said...

Ahhhh.... Sense & Sensibility. One of the best movies. Of. All. Time. LOVE IT!

New in Town? HILARIOUS, right? (Oh my gosh, the boob thing? How funny is that scene? I'm pretty sure I inhaled coke my nose, I was so taken aback and laughing so hard when I saw that in the theater.) Wow, that movie's hilarious. Thanks for reminding me that it's out on dvd, I need to pick it up.

I wasn't such a huge fan of the Aniston/Eckhart job. I had really thought that movie would be a lot funnier (and less about not-having-actually-dealt-with-the-loss-of-a-loved-one, if you know what I mean). If you liked him in Batman (and of course you did, how could you not?), you should see No Reservations. It's a couple years old, but it's a pretty cute romantic comedy starring Bro. Eckhart (you knew he is LDS, yes?) and Catherine Zeta-Jones. I so love his character in that movie. (By which I mean: he could make me spaghetti any time. And I mean that.)