Friday, August 3, 2012

Good News and Bad News

Well, most of you already know, but I am excited to announce that - after four long years of trying - Jon and I are pregnant!!! Jon has affectionately nicknamed our little baby "Grubb" and we couldn't be more thrilled! We had decided to "give up" on having babies right now and focus on school and career. It was so exhausting to count and obsess about fertility all the time, and we were ready for a break. I was in charge of Girl's Camp for our ward and I was also involved in the community play, so when I was feeling sick to my stomach, I thought it was just stress. After Girl's Camp was over I thought, "hmmm... I haven't had a period in a long time" So I counted and realized that I was 15 days overdue! We went and got a pregnancy test and I took it first thing Sunday morning. It came back positive, but I simply wouldn't believe it! I told Jon that our ox was in the mire and we needed to go to the grocery store and pick up another test! Long story short... 5 tests later I was convinced!! Here is a picture of our little Grubb!
The doctor's say that everything looks perfect and we were so relieved to hear that! Of course our parents are SO excited!! Don't be surprised if this blog turns a little "pregnancy obsessed" - my mom and my sisters-in-law live far away from us and they will want to get some updates. Another person who was so excited by the news of the Grubb was my Gramps. He was thrilled by the idea of being a Great Grandpa. Unfortunately he won't get the chance to meet our little baby. My Grandpa passed away on July 24th. We were taken by surprise when we got the call. He had been feeling under-the-weather, but we certainly didn't think he was doing that poorly! He was only 64.
Grandpa was loved by so many people throughout the community and by people across the United States. He had served in the navy during Vietnam and continued to serve as a police officer and a prison guard.
Grandpa and Grandma own The Carriage House in Snowflake where they have dedicated their lives to serving the elderly. Gramps was also serving on the Town Council. He loved the community and worked hard to do what he could to improve it. Gramps was the most generous person. He never thought twice about giving his money and his time to those who needed it. I was always impressed and inspired by his quiet selflessness. I could tell you a million stories about my Gramps. He was outgoing, kind, so funny, ambitious, and he always put his family first. When you asked him how he was he would always respond, "I'm nearly perfect haven't you noticed?" and he would follow it up with "it's just another day in paradise"
We will miss you Gramps. We love you.

4 comments:

Sherawn DeWitt said...

We are so excited for you guys and can't wait to see a mini Saline running around!!

Christy said...

We r so excited for you guys! So my grandma passed away when I was pregnant with Kali and I couldn't help but think they were talking it up up there before she came here. I hope you feel the same way. Best of luck on your pregnancy!

Corinne said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know how hard it is to imagine that your little one won't, in this life, get the chance to know some one who has influenced your life so much. I can't wait to read all your pregnancy updates. So excited for you!

Brenden+Nikki said...

Loved this and glad that you know I am expecting updates :). I was just thinking about you today too and hope you're feeling well.

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. My Granny passed away when I was 8 weeks along with Collin and by the time we got up to see her before she passed she was so overcome by Alzheimers that she wouldn't have understood if I told her I was expecting. But I always feel that she and Collin crossed paths - she on her way out and he on his way in and I know she gives my babies loves before they come down here :). I'm sure it's the exact same with your gramps. It's almost an even more special relationship...you know your baby is being sent off by someone very special :)

I'm blabbing. But you know me.

Love you guys.