Friday, December 5, 2008

Football and the Fight Song

When I was in High School I never missed a home football game. I would be in the stand every other Friday night with my fellow Cougars dancing to the marching band, chanting with the cheerleaders, and chatting up on all the newest "who's dating whom" and "who hates whom" stuff that high school inevitably brings.
Now, just because I went to the football games and was even really great friends with most of the football team, I don't understand one thing about the game. Sure I get that there are a bunch of big guys in big, pad-filled outfits running in to each other as a ball that's shape makes so sense at all to me gets passed back and forth. After a few minutes of this, the game stops and everyone unravels from the giant pile of sweaty guys and the game is set back up again in a different spot on the field.
Then when the ball gets ran through the giant posts that means touchdown and the runner then throws the ball on the ground, does a little dance right before getting knocked to the ground by his excited teammates - and the game sets up again......
When I was in high school I operated on the knowledge that it didn't matter if I was actually watching the game - when the fight song played, that meant there was a touchdown and we all cheered and sang along with the band, "Hail! Hail, You Cougars, Pass The Ball Right Down The Field!!"
Well, now I work at a high school and all season I have gotten out of going to the football games. The first few I was "busy" and then a miracle happened...one of the teachers was given a jersey to wear at the games all season - finally a good excuse. When I was asked by the coaches and the players if I would be going to the game, I would simply say, "I can't go, I don't have a jersey to wear"
Yup, I know, it's a pretty lame excuse but I was holding strong.
So tonight is the State Championship and yesterday I was asked if I was going. I gave my regular answer and what was their reply - you guessed it - we have a jersey for you to wear.
Needless to say, I am going to the Championship football game tonight. I will pay close attention and cheer when everyone else does and moan when everyone else does and freeze like everyone else. The weird thing is that I am a little bit excited to go. I haven't been to a football game since High School and they were always fun even when you didn't know what was happening in the game. Besides, I talked Jon into going with me, which of course means that he will be studying right up to the game, and right after the game probably all night - but I was so excited when he agreed to go with me!
So I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes.......
Go Stallions!!!!

No comments: